Thursday, May 26, 2016

Staycations

First of all, I am going to try to blog a lot more than I have in the past. And hopefully someone reads these so my time isn't in vain.

Back to the title! You may be asking yourself what exactly a staycation is. According to my Google sources, its technically defined as "a vacation spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions". So there. Now we all learned together what the proper definition of a staycation is. My definition is quite similar. I would say its basically like staying at home for vacation and finding fun things to do with your family at home.

Okay so before you exit the blog for thinking this idea sounds totally boring, let me tell you some ideas I have for a staycation. That's the purpose for this since summer 2016 is coming upon us quickly. Seeing as I took a flight to a warm spot this January, I doubt I will be making any more big trips this year. And because of that, I got to thinking what I could come up with to do that would be like a vacation at home. Hence the topic, staycations. Plus, the ideas are great if you are on a tight budget and can't afford a vacation this year. Alrighty lets get to it!

1.) If you are like me and love a good adventure out in nature, what could be more fun than camping in the great outdoors in your own backyard? Or if its cold out, and you want to do something fun, try camping in your living room! And don't lie to yourself and say that would be silly cuz' we all know we made blanket tents as kids. ( And I'll be the first one to admit I still do.) Even if you have a campsite in a town near where you live, rent a campsite for a night or two. It will feel like a get away without the expense.

2.) Go visit the closest zoo or museum or amusement park near you. Or combine the three in a few days for the feel of a real vacation. Recently, a friend and I went to the National AirForce museum which happens to be about an hour away from me. Like the nerds we are, we spent most of our day there, then went shopping at a VERY fancy outlet. Then drove home late in the evening. But the day felt like a small vacation. Find something within 1-3 hours away that you can easily do in a days drive. It will give you that feel of being just far enough away from home.

3.) If you have some places to hike nearby, take an entire day and go with a friend or family member and hike the day away. Don't forget to pack a picnic lunch to add to the fun!

4.) Spend a few days (or however long you have) with family. Nothing is as fulfilling or fun as spending time doing fun yet everyday things with the ones we love. It could be just a day of drinking coffee and playing games together, or working in the yard and laughing the day away.

5.) Plan a day just for you! This could be many things; giving yourself a manicure or pedicure, homemade facial or hair masks, or sitting down to your favorite TV show to binge watch the latest season you've been dying to see. Whatever you want to do on this day, make it special just for you. If you feel like being introverted (which is me about 80% of the time), then go on a bike ride or read your favorite book with a cup of tea.

These are just a few suggestions. See how many you can come up with on your own. I'm sure you will surprise yourself with what you can come up with. And whether you choose to do something alone or with family or friends, make sure its something that relaxes you, yet invigorates you. And makes you glad you saved that money and stayed home for vacation this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment